Thursday, August 25, 2011

More Craftiness for Lily

I have 15 weeks until Lily is due to arrive.  It just doesn't seem like enough time to do everything that I want to do, so I've been in overdrive craft mode the past couple of weeks and I'm hoping that I can keep it up for the rest of my pregnancy.'s what I made this week:
 the front

I made this dress using the same pattern as the romper, Simplicity 2459 View B.  I really love how this dress turned out - it is Donovan's favorite of all of the things I have made so far for Lily.  Notice the acorn buttons on the straps?  I got them on clearance @ Jo Ann for 50 cents!    

the back
I also made matching shoes, using Simplicity 2471 View B.
AND a matching hat using this crochet pattern and Caron Simply Soft in Pistachio.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE this hat!  I'm planning on making her several more in different colors.

I also made matching bibs - coordinating between the romper and the dress, each one will go with either outfit.  This was my first time making bibs and I used an old hand towel for the absorbent part in the middle, but I think from now on I will use something a little thinner like a cloth diaper.  This was also my first time applying snaps (Donovan usually does it for me, but he wasn't home) and OF COURSE I couldn't find the hammer, so I used a heavy wrench!! It worked just fine. ; )

I originally bought 2 yards of each fabric.
(Can't you tell I really like it?)  After making
everything, I had a little over a yard of each
left, so I made a blanket.  I used Wrights
Satin Binding ($7.50 @ Jo Ann - Walmart has it for $3.88, but they didn't have hot pink)  I used this tutorial to apply the binding.  Wrights has a tutorial on their website, but the instructions aren't very clear and the pictures are hard to see.  

I made the white hat using this crochet pattern and a chunky Bernat (I lost the label).  Next time I make it, I'd like to use a bulkier yarn so it will look more like the hat in the pattern. 

I made the hot pink hat using this crochet pattern and Peaches&Creme cotton.  It was supposed to be a sz.0-3m so she could wear it with the purple romper, but I think it is closer to a  newborn size. Oh well, that's what I get for not measuring gauge. 
and FINALLY, my favorite project of the week:
A Minnie Mouse hat!!!  I crocheted it using this pattern and cotton yarn.  I love how this pattern tells you to do the bow, it makes it look just like the bow that Minnie Mouse wears.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Recent Projects

I've been busy getting ready for Lily.  This is what I've been working on lately:

A changing pad to match her diaper bag:
the back

the front

This is the first time I've ever made clothes and it's only the second time I've used a commercial pattern.  I used Simplicity 2459 View D - Romper in X-Small (which is supposed to be 0-3 months or 7-13lbs).  The fabric is a lightweight corduroy and I did all of the buttonholes by hand because I haven't figured out how to use the buttonhole foot on my machine.  
the front
The creme showing in the back of the romper is the snap tape.  I didn't really like using it, and it was expensive - 17" for $6, which wouldn't be enough for a larger size.  I think next time I'll try to use individual snaps. 
the back
I made these shoes yesterday to match the romper, using Simplicity 2471 View A.  One of them turned out kind of wonky, but I don't think anyone will notice once they are on her little toes.   

I crocheted the headband today using this tutorial at Prudentbaby and hot pink cotton yarn.  I'm thinking it will be a lot cuter on Lily since she won't have Albert Einstein hair (I hope ;)