Friday, July 29, 2011

How to Insert Magnetic Snaps

I made the backpack using the Let's Go! Backpack Tutorial at SewMamaSew.

This is how I added magnetic snaps to the flap for Lily's Diaper Bag.  You can use this tutorial for adding magnetic snaps to almost anything.

Supplies:
Fabric for flap: 2- 7" squares
Fusible Fleece/Heavyweight Interfacing: 1 - 6.5" square
1 magnetic snap
Fuse fleece to one of the 7" squares
Place 7" squares together, right sides facing
Sew along 3 sides
Clip corners, turn


 

*Make sure you attach the snap to the side of the flap that has the interfacing*

Measure to the center of the flap:

And then measure up 1":

Put prongs of "male" half of snap on either side of the second mark & make 2 more marks:

Cut slits over the marks for the prongs *make sure you only cut through one side & not both!!*
Slide snap into place:

Add the back & bend prongs:

This is what it should look like:


To add the other half of the snap to the front of the bag, follow the same directions.
Follow the tutorial @ SewMamaSew
BEFORE you sew in the lining, add the other half of the snap
I went ahead and threaded the drawstring through the casing so I could pull the bag closed and figure out exactly where I wanted the flap to lay - I marked the spot on the front of the bag matched up with the snap on the flap & then added the "female" half of the snap to the front of the bag.

Please feel free to leave comments if you have questions, etc.  This is my first time writing a tutorial for others to read and I hope that it makes sense! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment